News & Media
- Vassar College, AB, 1979, cum laude
- George Washington University Law School, JD, 1986, Honors
617.973.6248 fax 617.722.4949 email@example.com V-card
Valerie is a partner in the firm and co-chairs the Employment Law Group.
Valerie’s employment law practice is comprehensive and involves representing Massachusetts and nationwide employers in all types of employment matters, including those involving discrimination, sexual harassment, wrongful termination, reductions in force, wage and hour, breach of contract and covenants not-to-compete. Valerie regularly counsels employers regarding comprehensive audits of personnel policies, harassment and discrimination awareness training, revisions to employee handbooks, drafting of employment agreements, non-competition covenants, the solicitation of clients and other employment issues.
Valerie has substantial expertise in plaintiff-side employment litigation representing employees including executives, managers and professionals in diverse industries. She counsels them in the negotiation of employment contracts, non-competition covenants and severance packages.
Valerie routinely appears before federal and state agencies, including the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration and the U.S. Department of Labor. She represents clients in federal and state courts and before the National Labor Relations Board on a variety of matters.
Valerie mediates cases for private parties, as well as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the United States District Court of Massachusetts. She was trained in civil mediation by the Community Dispute Settlement Center in 2001. She is also certified as a harassment prevention and disability discrimination trainer by the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination. She trains human resources personnel, managers and employees regarding harassment, diversity and discrimination issues, as well as employee discipline and litigation avoidance techniques.
- Represented a national advertising agency in maternity discrimination claim, including proceedings before the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination and the Massachusetts Superior Court.
- Represented a national facilities management company in class action case in federal court. Was successful in having case dismissed prior to certification of the class.
- Represented a community health center in disability discrimination claim in federal court. Successfully convinced court to dismiss case on motion for summary judgment.
- Represented national truck leasing company in connection with multiple sexual harassment claims. Successfully convinced state administrative agency to dismiss all claims.
- Represented national employer in connection with proceedings before the National Labor Relations Board.
- Represented national health care provider in multiple discrimination claims involving gender, race and disability discrimination.
- Represented national commercial real estate company in housing discrimination claim.
- Represented insureds in connection with legal malpractice claims in cases involving age and gender discrimination.
- Represented employers in collective bargaining and labor arbitrations.
- American Bar Association, Sections on Labor and Employment Law and Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Boston Bar Association, Sections on Labor and Employment Law and Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee
- New England Chapter of the Association for Conflict Resolution
- Society for Human Resource Management
- Defense Research Institute
Valerie has spoken widely before business and professional groups, including The Commonwealth Institute, the American Association of Advertising Agencies, Build Boston, and the Boston Club.
She is also a frequent expert contributor to The Boston Globe’s “Job Doc” column.
- Panelist, “Employment Law Basics for 2013,” Boston Bar Association, April 2013
- Expert contributor, "Calculation of Unpaid Vacation," The Boston Globe, January 2013
- Expert Contributor, “Unemployment Eligibility," The Boston Globe, November 2012
- Expert Contributor, "Policies On Travel Expenses Should Be Clear," The Boston Globe, August 2012
- Presenter, “Employee Misclassification Issues,” 2012 Annual Nonprofit Conference, Massachusetts Society of Certified Public Accountants, Inc.
- Panelist, "Employment Law Basics," Boston Bar Association, 2010, 2011
- Co-author, "Employment Law Guide: A Practical Guide to Understanding Massachusetts Employment Law," BBA, 2007
- Author, “Bargaining Power Guides Non-Competes,” Women’s Business, February 2005
- Co-author, "Finally, Some Good News On Employment Law,” New England In-House, October 2005
- Contributing author of a chapter titled “Wage and Hour Laws: A State By State Survey,” BNA 2004 (and 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 supplements)
- Co-author, “Insurance Coverage for Employment Claims, appearing as a chapter in Employment Law Conference 2000, MCLE, 2000
- Contributing author, “The Fair Labor Standards Act”, BNA, 1999
- Contributing author, “Report of The Fair Labor Standards Act Subcommittee,” American Bar Association, 1997
Valerie was named Massachusetts Super Lawyer in 2004, 2005, and every year from 2007 - 2013. She was named one of the "Top 10 Attorneys" in 2006 in Women's Business. She was also named as one of “New England’s Top Rated Lawyers” in 2013 by ALM.
Justice Resource Institute, Inc., Board of Trustees
News & Media
- Marijuana Legalization Raises HR Questions
- Employer’s Duty to Accommodate Medical Marijuana Remains Hazy
- SS Numbers and Online Applications
- Can Discussing Salaries With Colleagues Be Illegal?
- Is my Severance Package Agreement Violating the First Amendment?
- Time to Give Transgender Community the Rights They Deserve
- Collecting Employee Health Information - Is It Legal?
- Harassment Concerns Within The Workplace
- Experts: CVS won’t be last to seek health info
- Is it Management or Harassment?
- Calculation of Vacation Payout
- Unemployment Eligibility
- Policies On Travel Expenses Should Be Clear
- Gender Identity To Be Protected Under Massachusetts Law
- Employers Beware: The Scope of the Wage Act Continues to Expand
- Intellectual Property Issues and Employment Law
- "Dodging the Tax Bullet" MCLE seminar
- Federal Employment Law: Insights on Recent Developments
- Complying with Employment Regulations