- SERVICE AREAS
- Business Litigation
- Insurance Coverage & Bad Faith
- Professional Liability and Errors and Omissions
- Space Law
- Arbitration and Mediation
- Yale University, BA, 1972, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- Harvard Law School, JD, 1978
617.973.6135 fax 617.722.4950 email@example.com V-card
Rosanna is a partner and a member of the firm’s Executive Committee. Rosanna’s extensive litigation practice includes business litigation, environmental, employment and insurance coverage disputes.
Rosanna has been named Massachusetts Super Lawyer in Business Litigation every year from 2004 - 2012. She was also selected as “2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Energy/Environmental” and a “2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Labor & Employment” by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell™. She was also named one of the "Top 10 Attorneys" in Women's Business in 2007.
Rosanna has over 30 years of experience litigating, mediating and settling a wide variety of complex business and commercial disputes, including breach of contracts, enforcement of leases, shareholder freeze-outs, and health care matters. She served on the Ad Hoc Committee of the Boston Bar Association, which drafted the applicable rules that created the Business Session of the Massachusetts Superior Court Department.
- Defended a healthcare corporation in multi-million dollar litigation against a joint venture concerning ownership of medical equipment and contracts with area hospitals.
- Represented a REIT negating a purchase and sale agreement due to misrepresentation by the seller public company.
- Represented distributors in breach of distribution agreement claims.
- Represented a Jordanian aerospace contractor in breach of contract case regarding sale of aircraft.
- Represented shareholders of a closely held corporation in litigation regarding breach of fiduciary duty and freeze-out.
- Defended two high profile Massachusetts defamation cases involving legal issues of first impression addressed by the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court.
- Acted as U.S. counsel on behalf of a Jordanian law firm and its Jordanian client, and obtained a payment in a multi-million dollar contract dispute between a Jordanian geophysical contractor and a defaulting subsidiary of a U.S. parent corporation concerning payment for work performed on the Jordanian Azraq oil block.
- American Bar Association, Civil Litigation Section
- Massachusetts Bar Association, Civil Litigation Section
- Boston Bar Association, Civil Litigation Section
Rosanna advises clients regarding complex environmental matters, including representation before federal and state environmental agencies and courts; regulatory compliance; pollution remediation and environmental audits. She handles matters involving M.G.L. c. 21E, 21A and 21J; RCRA; CERCLA; TOSCA and the CWA. Rosanna works closely with hydrogeologists, engineers, toxicologists, chemists, and site remediation consultants in connection with acquisition due diligence, site assessments, risk assessments and remediation in compliance with regulations.
- Represented the owner of a Superfund trans-shipment site in a settlement with the PRPs, EPA and its insurer.
- Represented many PRPs in EPA superfund claims and claims by EPA and state environmental agencies.
- Represented owner and operator of 85 gas stations and bulk oil terminals in cleanup, regulatory compliance, insurance coverage and recovery of proceeds in excess of $14 million.
- Represented several manufacturers and oil companies in cost recovery actions.
- Successfully handled a major negligence claim for a REIT against a publicly held environmental cleanup company resulting in a multi-million dollar settlement without filing suit.
- Defended developer of polluted shopping center, oversaw multi-million dollar remediation, recovered seven-figure reimbursement from other PRPs and insurer, and handled environmental work in the multi-million dollar sale of the remediated property.
- Successfully represented municipalities in two high-profile federal lawsuits for recovery against polluters.
- Obtained a favorable verdict for an environmental engineering company after a 3-month jury trial in which $8,000,000 in damages was sought by a real estate developer.
- Represented the Insurance Environmental Litigation Association (IELA) in Massachusetts on several coverage matters.
- Represented the owner of commercial property against two major utilities in a dispute involving coal tar contamination from the early 1900’s, and negotiated two complex settlement agreements with the defendants and with the owner's insurer.
- American Bar Association, Environment, Energy and Resources Section
- Boston Bar Association, Environmental Law Section
Rosanna has written and lectured extensively on legal issues affecting the environmental industry. Recent articles include:
- “Incentives of Energy-Saving Strategies”, Client Strategies For Alternative Energy and Efficiency, Aspatore Books, 2008
- “New Chemical Facility Regulations Have Far-Reaching Impact: Is Your Company Affected?” Posternak Environmental Client Alert, 2008
- “Failure to Disclose Activity and Use Limitation (AUL) Voids Lease”, Posternak Environmental Client Alert, 2008
- “Builder Beware - EPA Targets Stormwater Violations”, Posternak Environmental Client Alert, 2008
- “Privatized Cleanups: Possible Solutions to Declining Confidence in an Innovative Program,” Environmental Liability, Enforcement & Penalties Reporter, Vol. 15, No. 5, March 2005
- “The Changing Legal Landscape” chapter, Manufactured Sites, Island Press, 2000
Rosanna is an Annual Lecturer at Harvard University, Department of Landscape Architecture. In this course, Rosanna provides a legal overview of Brownfields and an analysis of current environmental laws and litigation.
Rosanna counsels and primarily represents employers in many areas of employment law, including Title VII, FMLA, FSLA, ADA, ADEA, M.G.L. 151B. She represents clients in proceedings before federal and state agencies and courts. She regularly counsels employers on wage and hour laws, personnel policies, employee handbooks and other employment issues such as social media problems, internet defamation by employees, telecommuting and privacy issues. Additionally, she provides employment training to supervisors and represents businesses and high-level corporate employees, in connection with drafting and negotiating employment agreements, severance packages, layoffs, covenants not to compete, and non-disclosure agreements.
- Represented a company and its President in non-compete litigation concerning the sale of a business.
- Obtained a judgment in favor of a company enjoining a former employee and competitor from establishing a competing business.
- Defended a high profile age discrimination case against a well-known restaurant brought by its Executive Chef.
- Defended a class-action restaurant tipping case.
- Defended a wide variety of discrimination and wage/hour claims.
- Represented the president of European subsidiary of a U.S. Fortune 500 company in a dispute over termination of employment.
- Represented the Vice President of a U.S. Fortune 500 company in a trial in U.S. Tax Court in a suit by the IRS over the taxability of proceeds paid under an employment settlement agreement.
- Represented employers against former employees for social media and internet defamation.
- American Bar Association, Employment Law Section
- Massachusetts Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section
- Boston Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section
- “CA Workplace Religious Freedom Act – Harbinger of Things to Come?” Employment Law Strategist, 2013
- “Drafting Confidentiality Agreements in Business Contracts,” National Business Institute, 2012
- “Mandatory Retirement in Law Firms and Other Partnerships,” Employment Law Strategist, 2012
- “Independent Contractor Classification," Employment Law Strategist, 2012
- “Social Media and the Workplace: Potential Liability to Employees,” Retail Law Strategist, 2011
- “Facebook Firing Case Sends a Warning to Employers From the National Labor Relations Board,” Posternak Blankstein & Lund Client Alert, 2011
- “Supreme Court Issues Decision on Monitoring of Employee Communications,” Posternak Blankstein & Lund Client Alert, 2010
- “A Right to Bear Arms in the Office?” Employment Law Strategist, 2010
- “How to Safeguard Employee Data”, Employment Law Strategist, Law Journal Newsletters, March 2009
- “Office Space Without Walls”, Employment Law Strategist, Law Journal Newsletters, July 2008
- “Non-Competition, Non-Solicitation and Non-Disclosure Agreements”, Employment Law Strategist, Law Journal Newsletters, November 2007
- “Varying Jurisdictional Approaches to the Law of Restrictive Covenants”, Employment Law Strategist, Law Journal Newsletters, November 2007
- “Massachusetts Expert Witnesses” Employment Lawsuits, MCLE, 2001 – supplemented in 2004 and 2007
Law Journal Newsletters, Employment Law Strategist, Board of Directors
Insurance Coverage and Professional Liability Defense
Rosanna also has a great deal of experience in complex insurance coverage and bad faith civil litigation. She assists clients in the procurement and analysis of commercial general liability, property, employment practices, pollution, professional liability, umbrella and excess policies, as well as the negotiation of insurance claims made prior to litigation.
Rosanna has been recognized as an insurance law specialist in Best Lawyers in America, the oldest peer review publication in the legal profession, every year from 2008-2013.
She also defends malpractice claims against professionals, including lawyers, accountants, engineers, and environmental professionals.
- Represented nine major insurers against a public company in a declaratory judgment action over coverage for environmental pollution cleanup during a 45-year period.
- Successfully defended an excess insurer in a dispute with the primary insurer and polluter.
- Issued over 100 coverage opinions in matters involving exposure to toxic latex gloves.
- Defended corporate, probate, real estate and trial lawyers for more than 25 years in claims for malpractice, and counseled them regarding conflicts of interest and risk management.
- Defended a surplus lines carrier in a declaratory judgment action regarding the cancellation of its property policy.
- Defense Research Institute
- American Bar Association, Insurance Section; Tort Section
- Massachusetts Bar Association, Insurance Section
- Boston Bar Association, Insurance Section
Rosanna has written extensively on insurance issues and professional liability matters. A sample of her work follows:
- Massachusetts Liability Insurance Manual, "Professional Liability Insurance Issues,” MCLE, 2008 and 2010
- “Employment Practices Liability Insurance--What Do We Need to Know?” Defense Research Institute, 15th Annual Insurance Coverage & Practice Symposium, NY
- “Massachusetts Supreme Court Expands Insurers’ Liability for Declaratory Judgment Attorney’s Fees,” Posternak Insurance Client Advisory
- “Legal Malpractice in Massachusetts: A Primer”, Posternak publication, 2006
Rosanna is the Chair of the firm’s Space Law and Telecommunications Group with experience in contract and property rights, risk management, liability, insurance and regulatory requirements involved in space-related activities. In her 30-year career, Rosanna has earned a national reputation representing companies in high-profile complex commercial disputes, as well as insurance coverage matters. She regularly provides consulting services to businesses regarding insurance, liability and contract matters, as well as compliance with federal and state laws and regulations. She frequently represents clients before federal and state agencies.
- Represented an aerospace company in a dispute involving breach of a supply contract.
- Counseled a spacesuit manufacturing company on liability and insurance issues.
- Counseled a biotechnology company on intellectual property, contract and liability issues for scientific experiments aboard the International Space Station.
- Rendered legal services to the Space Frontier Foundation in connection with a NASA grant to investigate space based solar power.
- Tech America, Space Enterprise Council (SEC), Board of Directors and Past Chair
- American Aeronautical Society (AAS), Board of Directors, Member
- Women in Aerospace (WIA), Board of Directors, Past Member
- ProSpace America, Inc., Board of Directors, Past President
- Space Frontier Foundation, Advocate
- American Bar Association, Forum on Air and Space Law
- National Space Society (NSS), Member; Vice-President of Boston Chapter
- Institute for Space Law & Policy
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
Rosanna has published many articles and lectured extensively about law and policy issues concerning the business of space and space commerce. She was the 2008 Chair of the Space Enterprise Council of the US Chamber of Commerce (presently Tech America). In January 2007, while Vice Chair she addressed the Defense Science Board, a Federal Advisory Committee, established to provide independent advice to the Secretary of Defense concerning the impact of export controls upon the space industrial base. She is a frequent guest on “The Space Show” hosted by Dr. David Livingston.
- Rosanna was a contributing expert in commercial space launch liability issues and indemnification to the U.S. Government Accountability Office’s report on “Commercial Space Launches” in July 2012.
- Rosanna was the driving force behind the Firm's being chosen to host Space Investment Summit 7 in September 2009. Together with co-sponsors Boeing Corp., EADS Astrium and other prominent aerospace companies, Rosanna and other members of the Firm's Space Practice Group organized the seventh of a well-established series of forums offering a full day of dialogue sessions among industry leaders, investment professionals and entrepreneurs. The Summit included an entrepreneurial showcase of pre-qualified space-related business plans. The Boston Summit was attended by approximately 200 guests, and served to introduce the New England angel and venture investment community to several meaningful business opportunities in the space-enabled markets.
- In 2011, Rosanna was a guest lecturer on the subject of space property rights at Boston University School of Law to a space law class taught by Draper Labs.
- In 2009, Rosanna gave a presentation on "Transporting a Legal System for Property Rights: From the Earth to the Stars” at Boston University Center for Space Physics.
- In 2009, she co-authored a policy paper: “Liability Limitation in Commercial Human Spaceflight – Benefits for Entrepreneurship, Partnerships and Policy” for AIAA’s Commercial Space Group and the Space Enterprise Council’s Emerging Space Markets Working Group. Members of the FAA’s Commercial Space Transportation Risk Management Working Group are involved on an ad-hoc basis.
- In 2008, she co-authored a policy paper for the Space Enterprise Council on space based solar power.
- In 2008, Rosanna led a Commercial Space/Space Tourism panel on “Promoting Space Commerce – Legal, Economic and Advocacy Issues,” at the 15th AIAA International Space Planes and Hypersonic Systems and Technologies Conference in Dayton, Ohio.
- Rosanna also gave a presentation about Space Property Rights at the 11th International Space University Symposium in Strasbourg, France: “Why the Moon?” and was a panelist on Space Property Rights at the Return to the Moon VI Conference, sponsored by the Space Frontier Foundation. She was chosen to speak on the topic of transporting a legal system from the Earth to the Moon at the International Lunar Conference, in Toronto, Canada.
- In 2006, Rosanna chaired the Space Panel at the Harvard Business School’s “Cyberposium 12” Technology Conference titled “Need directions? Mapping Future Technology”.
- Rosanna authored an article in Kluwer Law International’s Air & Space Law concerning U.S. commercial activities aboard the International Space Station. The University of Chicago International Law Review published her article about property rights in space, and she also authored a chapter about space property rights that appeared in the Apogee Books Space Series, entitled “Return to the Moon.”
News & Media
- CA Workplace Religious Freedom Act
- Potential Legal Pitfalls With Online Reviews
- Drafting Confidentiality Agreements in Business Contracts
- Mandatory Retirement in Law Firms and Other Partnerships
- Lawyers Say Social Media Poses Risk for Clients
- Space Law and Space Travel
- Independent Contractor Classification
- Could Asteroid Mining Work? An Outer Space Lawyer Weighs In
- Asteroid Mining - is it worth it?
- Facebook password necessary for interview process?
- Social Media and the Workplace: Potential Liability to Employees
- Facebook Firing Case Sends a Warning to Employers From the National Labor Relations Board
- Supreme Court Issues Decision on Monitoring of Employee Communications
- What Construction Lawyers Need to Know About the Senate Health Care Bill Provision Requiring Construction Companies with More than 5 Employees to Offer Health Coverage
- A Right to Bear Arms in the Office?
- Liability Limitation in Commercial Human Spaceflight: Benefits for Entrepreneurship, Partnership, and Policy
- Space Investment Summit 7
- Important - Department of Labor Issues Model COBRA Notice
- How to Safeguard Employee Data
- Layoffs? Downsizing? Time to Evaluate WARN ACT Notices and Other Requirements and to Protect Your Company's Trade Secrets
- Revised Federal Medical Leave and Disability Laws Change the Legal Landscape for Employers
- Client Strategies for Alternative Energy and Efficiency: Incentives for Energy-Saving Strategies
- "Engaging China In Space: US Firms Tired of Being Shut Out"
- Structuring Non-Compete, Non-Solicitation and Non-Disclosure Agreements
- Office Space Without Walls
- MCAD Commissioner Announces the MCAD will apply the Massachusetts Maternity Leave Act to Men
- My Space
- Promoting Space Commerce
- New Massachusetts Law Mandates Treble Damages for Wage and Hour Violations and Raises Stakes for Employers
- The sky's not the limit
- Who owns the moon?
- New Chemical Facility Regulations Have Far-Reaching Impact: Is Your Company Affected?
- State's aerospace industry aligns to heighten profile
- Space-related legal work lifts off
- Commercial Space Federation of Galaxy Explorers Space Educators Workshop
- Non-Competition, Non-Solicitation and Non-Disclosure Agreements
- Our own Rosanna Sattler testifies before the Defense Science Board
- Transporting A Legal System from the Earth to the Moon