News & Media
- State University of New York at Binghamton, BA, 1989
- Northeastern University School of Law, JD, 1993
617.973.6182 fax 617.722.4990 email@example.com V-card
Jennifer is a partner in the Firm’s Litigation Department, concentrating in civil litigation, including in the areas of employment law, commercial and business disputes and family law. Jennifer represents clients in state and federal courts, at the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination, and in arbitration.
Prior to joining Posternak, Jennifer was a founding partner of Shilepsky O’Connell Casey Hartley Michon Yelen LLP, an employment and litigation boutique, and a partner in the Litigation Department of Perkins Smith & Cohen LLP.
In her employment law practice, Jennifer represents both employees and employers in all types of employment matters, including those involving discrimination, sexual harassment, breach of contract and restrictive covenants (including covenants not-to-compete). She also regularly represents employers and employees in the negotiation of employment contracts, non-competition covenants, and severance packages. As outside counsel for several Massachusetts employers, Jennifer advises her clients on personnel policies, compliance with state and federal laws, harassment and discrimination complaints and investigations, hiring and termination issues, performance management and discipline of employees, and drafting of employee handbooks, employment agreements and severance agreements.
Representing individuals and corporate entities, Jennifer has also litigated commercial and business disputes, including those involving breach of contract, tortious interference, defamation, breach of fiduciary duty and violations of statute.
Jennifer’s family law practice includes litigation of divorce, alimony, child support, custody, post-divorce and paternity matters, as well as negotiation and drafting of separation/divorce and prenuptial agreements.
Jennifer is admitted to practice law before the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court, the United States District Court of the District of Massachusetts, and the United States Court of Appeals, First Circuit. She also has trial experience in the federal courts of New York, Virginia, Georgia and Michigan and the state Courts of South Carolina and Texas. Jennifer served as a judicial intern to Associate Justice Rudolph Kass of the Massachusetts Appeals Court and as a legal intern with the Suffolk County District Attorney's Office.
- Represented the husband in a successful appeal to the Massachusetts Appeals Court, resulting in the Appeals Court’s issuance of the seminal opinion on the treatment of Social Security benefits in the context of divorce.
- Represented high net worth individuals in complex divorce and post-divorce matters.
- Represented an international employer in a whistleblower retaliation case in federal court, resulting in the pre-trial dismissal of three of four counts and a jury verdict for the employer.
- Represented an international employer in a breach of contract case in state court, resulting in a jury verdict for the employer.
- Represented employees and employers in cases involvement enforcement of non-competition provisions.
- Represented numerous employees in discrimination cases, resulting in multi-million dollar settlements.
Boston Bar Association
Massachusetts Bar Association
Women's Bar Association
Jennifer has published articles on employment law issues, including in the Boston Bar Journal, is co-author of several MCLE employment-related publications, including Representing a Plaintiff in a Wrongful Termination Case, the employment law chapter of MCLE’s Basic Practice Manual, and a chapter in MCLE’s Massachusetts Employment Law publication, and has lectured at MCLE on employment issues.
Jennifer was named Massachusetts Super Lawyer every year from 2007- 2013, including being listed as one of Boston’s Top 50 Women Attorneys for her work in the field of Employment Litigation in 2007 and 2013. She was also named Massachusetts Super Lawyer - Rising Star in Employment Litigation in 2005, 2006 and 2007.
Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Board of Trustees, Board Member and First Vice President.