University of Pennsylvania Law School, JD, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, 1995
Wharton School of Business, University of Pennsylvania, BS, cum laude, 1992
Andrew R. LevinPartner
Andrew is a partner in the firm’s Litigation Department. Andrew’s practice focuses on civil litigation matters with particular emphasis on complex commercial litigation and product liability defense. Andrew represents a broad range of public and private U.S. and international corporations and real estate developers, in commercial litigation and arbitration. Andrew also has significant experience in counseling principals of close corporations and partnerships in intra-company disputes. In addition to his commercial litigation work, Andrew counsels national and international manufacturers and distributors of consumer goods, industrial machinery, power tools, automobiles, gas valves, and ladders. He specializes in defending claims involving catastrophic injuries and significant property damage where there are allegations of design or manufacturing defects or failure to warn.
Andrew approaches each matter with focus and responsiveness and with an eye to the business implications for his clients. Although he recognizes that some cases are better resolved by mediation or negotiation, Andrew is an experienced trial attorney who has tried cases in the federal and states courts and is unafraid, when necessary, to take a case to trial.
Andrew is admitted to practice in Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine, and he routinely appears in courts throughout New England.
- Representation of a major national retailer in a three week trial in the BLS involving a claim by the retailer that it was due a recovery of several million dollars as the result of tax overcharges.
- Representation of a real estate developer in a two week bench trial against his investors who refused to continue to fund a development project resulting in the failure of the project.
- Representation of an automobile manufacturer in a three week trial in Vermont federal court involving a claim that the defective design of the vehicle had caused the plaintiff to suffer catastrophic injuries in a rollover accident.
- Representation of a real estate developer in a dispute with his general contractor regarding the terms of the development contract.
- Representation of the director of a closely held corporation on claims that the director had breached his fiduciary duties to the corporation in connection with a dispute with a related company.
- Representation of the shareholder of a closely held corporation arising out of a dispute regarding another shareholder’s actions in preventing a development project from moving forward.
- Representation of a gas valve supplier in a product liability action arising out of the death of the resident in an apartment building due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Representation of a compressor manufacturer in a claim arising out of the alleged failure of a compressor used in a freezer storing biological samples valued at hundreds of thousands of dollars and in a related claim seeking indemnification from the freezer manufacturer.
- Representation of an international supplier of custom blinds in a contract dispute with the general contractor over the supply and installation of custom blinds in a major museum.
- Representation of an investment company in a dispute involving a fee owed for the brokerage of interests in certain life insurance policies.
Boston Bar Association
Defense Research Institute
Andrew has been named Massachusetts Super Lawyer every year from 2013 – 2017 and a Massachusetts Super Lawyer – Rising Star from 2007-2010.
- Guest Lecturer, UMass Amherst Isenberg School of Management, November 2017
- Graduate School “Using Technology at Trial: When to Go High-Tech and When to Go Old School,” Massachusetts Bar Association, December 2015
- “Effective Strategies for Winning Contract Disputes,” NECCA, November 2015
- “Advanced Deposition Techniques: Leveraging Exhaustion, Boxing-In, and Summarization Approaches with Adverse Witnesses,” June 2015
- Presenter, “Defending Depositions: What Every Litigator Needs to Know,” Boston Bar Association, April 2014
- “A Practical Guide to Introducing Evidence in Massachusetts,” Massachusetts Courtroom Advocacy (MCLE, Inc. 2009, with supplements in 2011, 2014 and 2017)
- “Closings, Jury Instructions and Post-Trial Memoranda,” MCLE Trial Basics: 2000, 2001, 2002 (MCLE, Inc.)