- Business Counseling
- Business Litigation
- Clean Technology
- Intellectual Property & Technology
- International Trade
- Northeastern University School of Law, JD, 1987
- Tufts University, BA, 1980
Gary W. SmithPartner
Gary is a member of the firm’s Corporate Department, and chairs its Intellectual Property and Technology Practice Group. His practice includes protecting and licensing intellectual property, negotiating and drafting Internet related agreements, counseling clients on technology and e-commerce matters, franchising, and general corporate representation. He also handles complex litigation, including patent infringement, trademark and copyright actions.
- Represented a medical publisher licensing content to a medical information Web site.
- Represented a global food processor licensing a well-known brand name.
- Negotiated distribution and license agreements with national retailers on behalf of a client offering on-line learning courses.
- Developed an international franchise program for an on-line software distributor.
American Intellectual Property Law Association
MIT Enterprise Forum
New England Canada Business Council
Federal Circuit Bar Association
Boston Bar Association
Gary writes and speaks frequently on topics related to intellectual property, technology and Internet law. Venues and publications include:
- Center for International Legal Studies
- Boston Bar Journal
- The Journal of World Intellectual Property
- Mass. High Tech
- Aspatore Books
- Contributing Author, American Bar Association Franchise Termination Deskbook
- Board of Editors, AIPLA Quarterly Journal, 2001-2004
- Gary was recently a coach at the “Matching Transoceanic Biotech Opportunities” workshop organized by Transbio.
Gary was named Massachusetts Super Lawyer in 2004 in Boston Magazine.
News & Media
- How to Secure Intellectual Property from Loss or Compromise
- What Are The Pros and Cons of Recycling Trademarks?
- Removal Untimely In Patent Case
- Why ADR Can Help Address the Rising Tide of Copyright Litigation
- Cases Promise Clarity on Takedown Notices
- Creating a Win-Win Situation: IP Licensing Negotiation Strategies
- Patent Settlements, Negotiations, and Litigation