Brian is a seasoned tax partner. For many years he served as the head tax lawyer at CVS Health, and in private practice at law firms with national and international practices and at national and international public accounting firms, including Ernst & Young, as a member of its national state and local tax practice.
Brian handles domestic and international transactional tax work for buyers, sellers and investors, and consults in the creation of tax-optimal legal entity structures and day-to-day transaction flows for simple and complex businesses engaged in every endeavor, whether they be taxable as corporations or on a pass-through basis. Brian also assists those businesses in navigating tax issues inherent in the creation and termination of their various executive compensation arrangements. Brian advises several charitable organizations, a carryover from his duties at CVS Health, where he served as the compliance director of its public charity and private foundation.
Brian represents business and individual taxpayers in disputes with Federal and state tax administrators, including international and multi-state audits.
- University of Massachusetts, BA, 1980
- Suffolk University Law School, JD, 1984
- Boston University School of Law, Masters of Laws – Taxation, 1990
- United States Tax Court
- Internal Revenue Service
- State Departments of Revenue, Taxation
- Devised and implemented an international tax strategy for a U.S. company engaged in the worldwide sourcing of construction materials.
- Successfully assisted a global software manufacturer and distributor in the substantial reduction of a proposed $23M IRS tax assessment in connection with the transfer of intellectual property to a related party outside the U.S.
- Structured a multi-million dollar sale of S corporation stock held by a decedent’s estate.
- Advised an S corporation in the petroleum extraction industry with the sale of its assets to, and the taking of a retained interest in, the acquirer’s pass-through entity.
- Settled the Federal tax liability of a company defending a $9M IRS adjustment for approximately $1M.
- Served as acquisition counsel to a healthy living e-tailer acquiring a new line of business.
- Chambers USA recognizes Brian as a Ranked Tax Lawyer in Massachusetts, 2015