Jennifer is a partner in Firm’s Litigation Department, concentrating in the areas of employment law and family law, and a member of the Firm’s Health Care Practice Group. In her employment law practice, Jennifer represents both employees and employers in all types of employment matters, including those involving discrimination, sexual harassment, retaliation, breach of contract and restrictive covenants. As outside counsel for several Massachusetts employers, Jennifer advises clients on personnel policies, compliance with state and federal laws, harassment and discrimination complaints and investigations, hiring and termination issues, performance management and discipline of employees, and drafting of employee handbooks, employment agreements and severance agreements. She also regularly represents employers and employees in the negotiation of employment contracts, non-competition covenants, and severance packages.
As a member of Posternak’s Health Care Practice Group, Jennifer defends mental health professionals in connection with complaints before licensing boards including the Massachusetts Board of Registration of Psychologists, the Board of Registration of Social Workers, and the Board of Registration of Allied Mental Health and Human Services Professionals. She also consults with and provides advice to mental health professionals regarding ethical and risk-management issues. Jennifer has represented hundreds of licensed mental health professionals in Board-related matters and practice consultations. She is co-counsel to the National Association of Social Workers, Massachusetts Chapter, co-authors the “Ask Our Attorney” column featured in Social Work Voice (formerly FOCUS), the bi-monthly newsletter of the Massachusetts Chapter of the National Association of Social Workers, and makes presentations to mental health practitioners on risk management best practices.
Jennifer’s family law practice includes litigation of divorce, alimony, child support, custody, post-divorce and paternity matters, as well as negotiation and drafting of separation/divorce and prenuptial agreements. Jennifer also serves as a mediator of family law disputes.
Prior to joining Posternak, Jennifer was a founding partner of Shilepsky O’Connell Casey Hartley Michon Yelen LLP, an employment and litigation boutique, and a partner in the Litigation Department of Perkins Smith & Cohen LLP.
- State University of New York at Binghamton, BA, 1989
- Northeastern University School of Law, JD, 1993
- First Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court
- Boston Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Represented the husband in a successful appeal to the Massachusetts Appeals Court, resulting in the Appeals Court’s issuance of the seminal opinion on the treatment of Social Security benefits in the context of divorce.
- Represented high net worth individuals in complex divorce and post-divorce matters.
- Represented an international employer in a whistleblower retaliation case in federal court, resulting in the pre-trial dismissal of three of four counts and a jury verdict for the employer.
- Represented an international employer in a breach of contract case in state court, resulting in a jury verdict for the employer.
- Represented employees and employers in cases involvement enforcement of non-competition provisions.
- Represented numerous employees in discrimination cases, resulting in multi-million dollar settlements.
- “Top Female Attorney in Massachusetts” by Super Lawyers, 2016
- Massachusetts Super Lawyer every year since 2007
- “Boston’s Top 50 Women Attorneys” in 2007, 2013 and 2014 for her work in the field of Employment Litigation
- Massachusetts Super Lawyer – Rising Star in Employment Litigation in 2005, 2006 and 2007.